As someone busy managing a business or dealing with a 9 to 5 job situation, it is important to understand that your pets also need your attention. This is especially true if your pet needs attention in terms of food. If you aren’t around your pet most of the day, getting a cat food dispenser would be an ideal choice. Depending on your cat’s needs, you can choose from manual or automatic dispensers.
You might find yourself confused when picking the best cat food dispenser for your pet. To help resolve this issue, we will guide you through the process with the best choices available in the market.
Our experts recently updated the list of best grain free cat foods which can be offered to cats through automatic and manual food dispensers.
What are the Types of Cat Food Dispensers?
In your search for the best cat food dispensers, you would first want to know which option is right for you. Let us weigh the advantages and disadvantages of opting for these options and what fits right for your pet.
1. Gravity Cat Feeder
Gravity feeders take out the worry of feeding the cats while you are away working at your office or out on a trip. Once the cat eats off all the food present in its bowl, these dispensers will automatically refill the bowl with the help of gravity.
The best thing about these feeders is that they don’t require to be operated with the help of a power source. They can be used both outdoors as well as indoor.
These feeders aren’t as expensive as the automatic ones. They are fairly easy to use with a simple setup. Gravity cat feeders are built to hold a lot of food and don’t require frequent refilling.
However, you might have to remember that these feeders aren’t ideal for cats that don’t know how to self-regulate. The binge-eating process could cause the pets to gain weight.
2. Automatic Cat Feeder
Automatic feeders are pre-programmed & pre-loaded with multiple meals in one go. Unlike the basic gravity feeders, the automatic ones tend to dispense a designated amount of pet food in the time programmed into it.
So, if you want your cat to eat its food at 2 pm or a set time, you can program the same into the machine.
This cat feeder is perfect for cats that tend to overeat when left with a lot of food. Some of the automatic dispensers do feature a slow-feeding option. They do feature a large holding capacity and don’t require frequent refilling.
The high-end automatic feeders also feature audio and camera functions that help you keep the cat’s meal in check. However, the downside to an automatic cat feeder is that it is very expensive. In addition, you will have to program or set the times/amounts for feedings.
Moreover, automatic feeders might not be a perfect option for pet parents with several cats who don’t share.
3. Slow Cat Feeder
As is obvious by the name, a slow cat feeder is designed to dispense the food added to the machine over a long period throughout the day. It dispenses the food throughout the day at regular intervals but in smaller portions.
This helps prevent the cat from eating quickly or overeating. Cats that eat very quickly are prone to vomiting, and a slow feeder is needed to help evade the situation.
However, on the downside, these feeders tend to be highly expensive, and the programming part might take longer than it is with usual feeders.
4. Wet Feeders
Cat food dispensers designed for dry food might not be ideal for dispensing wet food. This is why you need to get a separate wet food dispenser or opt for one that serves a dual purpose. The design of these dispensers is such that it helps keep the wet food fresher for longer.
In addition, it features a time that rotates and opens on a set time as programmed by you.
However, cleaning these feeders can be a messy experience. In addition, it tends to hold a limited amount of food compared to other variants.
Top 10 Best Cat Food Dispensers
1. PetKit The Best Cat Food Dispenser
For pet parents looking for a sleek cat feeder, the PetKit cat feeder is an ideal choice. The feeder can be operated from your smartphone so that you don’t have to get up from bed early in the morning to feed your cat. The machine operates on a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection.
The machine can dispense anywhere from 1 portion of the meal to 10 as per your cat’s requirements with its personalized feeding features. So, set a designated mealtime for your cat using its programming features and feed whenever needed.
Its dual fresh locking system helps keep your pet’s food dry & fresh for a long. In addition, the weight sensor technology is designed to notice when the bucket starts to get empty and sends an alert to your phone to help you refill.
Although the machine primarily operates on an AC power supply, it can also be used with the help of a battery backup feature in case of power cuts.
- It has a large food storage capacity of 2.8 litres
- Made of durable stainless steel material
- LED indicator that notifies you when the food level goes low
- It can be programmed for 10 portions daily
- Features an app control option
- The application might be prone to data mining (Security Issues)
- Too light for cats, tends to be toppled with one hit by the cats
2. NPET Automatic Cat Food Dispenser
NPET cat food dispenser is ideal for cats of different breeds and sizes. It is also perfect for families that have multiple pets. In addition, this dispenser is perfect for cat parents who tend to remain busy traveling and working for long hours.
The transparent visible window lets you check how much cat food is left inside the dispenser. Moreover, the dispenser is created with BPA-free material durable and safe for pets when used in the long run.
Given its straightforward design, the NPET food dispenser can be easily programmed. Therefore, you can set a specific schedule for your cat’s meal with this machine.
For example, you can easily set from1 to 4 meals daily while dividing it between 1 to 35 portions for each meal.
The dispenser features 2 high-quality desiccant bags that help keep your cat’s food fresh for a long time. Plus, the secure design lid with a press-lock feature prevents your cat from accessing the stored food.
- Powered with a durable power adapter plus D-size batteries (3)
- Allows you to record customized messages of 10 seconds
- Designed with anti-clog features
- Feeding weight feature to help you measure the right amount of food
- Low battery indicator
- Disassembly is a complicated process for cleaning
- The food pushing force isn’t as strong
3. PETLIBRO Cat Feeder for Dry Food Dispensing
For pet parents that seek a flexibly timed feeding experience for their cat, the PETLIBRO feeder is an ideal choice. If your cat loves to munch on its food before the sun comes out or late at night, you don’t have to worry about the same. Instead, program the feeder to a specific time to ensure your cat doesn’t come to wake you up.
The dispenser can be programmed for 1 to 4 meals/day & segregated into 9 different portions for each meal that can be customized to ensure your cat’s healthy diet.
In addition, this pet feeder has 4 liters capacity that ensures your pet stays full & happy while you aren’t in the house. It is the best cat food dispenser.
The desiccant bag helps keep the food fresh for a long time. In addition, PETLIBRO can be powered with dual technologies. The first is a 5V DC power supply, and the second is 3 powerful D-cell batteries.
So, if there is a power outage on your premises, you can ensure that your pet is fed at all times.
The dispenser is also equipped with a setting memory feature that prevents sudden or abrupt power failure.
- Allows you to record a 10-second voice clip
- Features an LCD screen that ensures a quick setup process
- The feed button ensures additional feeding for your cat
- Properly angled dispensing tube to ensure the food doesn’t get stuck
- Food tank & tray can easily be removed for cleaning
- Programming buttons have a dark color making it difficult to see at night
- Lags in time; each feed time is different from another
4. PetSafe Healthy Gravity Cat Feeder
If your budget doesn’t allow you to bring home an automatic cat feeder, you can also make do with a high-quality gravity feeder. The feeder allows your cat to get access to their favorite meal any time of the day. Some cats don’t eat their meals in one go; rather take their time consuming it throughout the day.
With this pet feeder, you can ensure that your cat never goes hungry. The dispenser is available in two sizes: a medium and small-size food holder. Moreover, the feeder is easy to clean as it can be disassembled without complications.
The bowl is stainless steel and can be placed inside a dishwasher for faster cleaning. In addition, the space-saving design makes your house look great in décor without looking too bulky.
You can also pair it up with a similar water station that helps dispense water as needed by your cat.
- It doesn’t require daily refilling
- The BPA-free plastic material used for the safety of the pets
- Keeps the food fresh for longer
- Dishwasher safe design for hygiene and ease of cleaning
- Easily locks in place to prevent any spills
- It tends to leak when placed on an uneven surface
- The metal base starts to rust very fast
5. Vanness AF3 Auto Feeder for Cats
For pet parents in need of a budget-friendly cat food dispenser, the Vanness AF3 is the perfect feeding solution. The feeder has a simple design yet is ideal for pet parents that want to ensure their cat is well-fed while they are away.
Moreover, the Vanness features a removable lid to ensure easy cleaning. The parts are dishwasher safe, so you don’t have to worry about cleaning it all by your hand.
We recommend it as the best cat food dispenser. The material used in the manufacturing of the cat feeder is safe for your pets even when used for years.
The large food storage capacity ensures that it can feed one cat for a minimum of 7 to 8 days. However, this would vary depending on how much your pet eats daily.
The feeder features a flip-top design lid that can be opened from the top portion. You can simply pour your feed by de-locking this lid.
- The unit can easily be separated to ensure thorough cleaning
- The materials are free of any harmful chemicals, including BPA
- Wide bowl to help two cats eat from the same bowl at a time
- Sturdy & thick material that doesn’t break down easily
- Ideal for use both indoors and outdoors
- The feeder neck at the unit’s bottom portion is very constrictive and narrow
- Not meant for water dispensing
6. PetSafe 5 Meal Cat Food Dispenser
Flaunting a unique design, the PetSafe 5 meal food dispenser is ideal for scheduling meals & treats for your cat while you are away. The first meal is available for your cat to consume right after you fill its tray with the cat’s favorite pet food.
You can schedule the dispenser for a total of 5 feeding sessions that can be dispensed at a set time frame. These 5 compartments can hold about 1 cup worth of dry/semi-moist cat food. The feeder is ideal for small and medium-sized cats.
This food dispenser is ideal for felines that tend to eat too fast. The cat food dispenser breaks up the meals into equal and smaller portions to ensure your cat doesn’t binge.
This helps manage the weight of an overweight or obese cat while ensuring they get the necessary nutrients.
- The parts are dishwasher safe and can be cleaned with ease
- The material doesn’t contain any BPA known to harm the cats
- Simplistic design that doesn’t take long to program
- LCD screen that ensures quick feeding schedules setup
- Features a digital clock to ensure your pet gets fed right in time
- Defect with tray rotation; might get stuck
- Trays don’t lock in place before the next feeding cycle
7. KtlicN/A Upgraded Automatic Cat Food Dispenser
Several faulty cat food dispensers in the market might cause clogging issues while the food is dispensed. However, this isn’t an issue with the KtlicN/A automatic cat food dispenser. The feeder can hold about 4 liters of food that keeps your pet fed while you are away.
Moreover, the cat food dispenser’s sealed design ensures that any dry food stays fresh for as long as 2 or even 3 weeks.
So if you are going out for a business trip, office, or any outing with friends, this dispenser would keep your pet fed for a long time. It’s features make it best best cat food dispenser which is available at this time.
The programming feature ensures that your cat gets the perfect amount of cat food as suggested by your veterinarian. The dispenser can serve anywhere between 1 to 20 portions, depending on your cat’s requirements.
- Features a 10-second voice record option
- It also comes with a manual feeding button if your pet is extra hungry
- Stainless steel detachable bowl with odor-free design
- Ideal for pets that might be allergic to plastic dispensers
- Secure lock lid that can be used to fill the food
- Food portions aren’t consistent at times
- No methods of alerting when the bowl gets empty
8. Iseebiz Automatic Dual Power Cat Feeder
The Iseebiz cat feeder ensures that your cat has access to a flexible meal that goes up to four meals daily. In addition, the food can be divided into equal portions ranging between 1 and 39 to provide a customized & healthy diet plan for the cat.
The feeder’s anti-clog design features an IR detector laid out at a suitable angle for clog prevention. It also helps prevent overflowing issues when dispensing a new meal for the cats.
You can also set personalized 10-second voice recordings to make it comfortable for the pets.
You can also cancel this feature in case it isn’t needed. The feeder works on a DC power supply as well as D-cell batteries. If your area has many power outage incidents, make sure you use both power sources to keep your pet fed.
- Screw-lock lid design to ensure double freshness
- Sturdy enough to ensure the pets do not open it up
- Features a desiccant box that can be replaced with ease
- Easy to remove food container for faster cleaning
- It has a large 3 liters food holding capacity
- Timed feeding has a glitch
- The top might not fit well at times
9. WOPET Automatic Wi-Fi Cat Feeder
The WOPET cat feeder has a versatile design backed by smartphone programming to help you control when your pets get their meal. Regardless of where you are, this cat feeder can be monitored and regulated as per your cat’s requirements.
You can program as many as 15 meals for your pet with 1 to 50 portions for each meal. The feeding schedule helps control your cat’s body weight & helps establish proper eating habits.
If your pet has special health requirements, it is important to provide them with regulated portions for better health.
The unit can be powered with the help of a power adapter or 3-piece battery backup set. You can also record a customized message for your pet to help them feel at ease while you are away as the food is being dispensed.
- Ideal for pellets sized between 5 and 15mm
- It can be controlled with an application suited for Android & iOS
- Works on Wi-Fi at 2.4GHz frequency
- The food storage unit can easily be cleaned & refilled
- Ensures a personalized feeding schedule for weight control
- It tends to get blocked after a few feedings
- Portions aren’t consistent
10. Honey Guaridan Automatic Cat Feeder
With a massive 7 liters capacity, the Honey Guaridan cat feeder is a top-quality unit that can be used to keep your cat fed while you are away. The dispenser can be used to schedule up to 6 meals daily at different times throughout the day.
Further, each meal can be portioned between 1 and 48 parts to help your pet develop ideal eating habits. Once the daily feeding plan has been programmed, it would be followed unit you change it manually.
It is the best cat food dispenser as well as a futuristic design. This feeding schedule isn’t lost even if there is a power outage and switches to battery power consumption.
It is ideal for cat parents who have a busy schedule and even singles who love to travel. The transparent hopper allows you to see if the feeder is empty to ensure it can be refilled just as quickly. In addition, the machine features a two-way splitter to divide the food into equal portions.
- The food storage bin is large and easy to remove
- Accommodates kibbles sized between 0.5cm and 2cm
- Food is dispensed with no jamming issues
- Features a built-in custom voice recorder & speaker
- An infrared sensor detects whenever there is food stuck in the dispenser
- It needs to be filled less than the overall capacity
- Display digits are too dim and cannot be read well
Frequently Asked Questions
Comparison of Cat Food Fispensers
|Product||Material||Holding Capacity||Item Weight||Portion Setting|
|PetKit Automatic Cat Feeder with Stainless Steel Bowl||Stainless Steel||2.8 Liters||6.12 Pounds||1 to 10 portions|
|NPET Automatic Cat Food Dispenser||ABS Plastic||6 Liters||5.95 Pounds||1 to 39 portions|
|PETLIBRO Cat Feeder for Dry Food Dispensing||Stainless Steel||4 Liters||4.7 pounds||9 portions|
|PetSafe Healthy Gravity Cat Feeder||Plastic||2 Liters||1 pound||No|
|Vanness AF3 Auto Feeder for Cats||Plastic||1.4 Liters||0.1 pounds||No|
|PetSafe 5 Meal Cat Food Dispenser||Plastic||1.2 Liters||3.3 pounds||1 to 5 portions|
|KtlicN/A Upgraded Automatic Cat Food Dispenser||ABS Plastic||4 Liters||2.2 pounds||1 to 20 portions|
|Iseebiz Automatic Dual Power Cat Feeder||Plastic||3 Liters||3.3 pounds||1 to 39 portions|
|WOPET Automatic Wi-Fi Cat Feeder||ABS Plastic||6 Liters||4.76 pounds||1 to 50 portions|
|Honey Guaridan Automatic Cat Feeder||Plastic||7 Liters||6 Pounds||1 to 48 portions|
You might also like to read about what happens if a kitten eats cat food? And what to do when leaving the cat alone! Especially how much time the four-paws friend can survive when left with food and water. We also recently published a guide on how to get a cat to eat wet food? It serves especially to those who are addicted to kibble.
Now that you know the best way to find an ideal feeder for your cat, you can now be worry-free as you complete your office work or chill out with friends. If your budget suits your pet’s needs, make sure you get an automatic feeder.
In case the budget isn’t too much, you can rely on a gravity feeder as well. Regardless, make sure you properly test out the feeder for its efficiency before you start relying on it, especially when out for days.